Steps to Apply

Application Checklist for Undocumented, AB540 & DACA students at LAVC

Dream Resource Center (DRC) staff is available to help you with this process. If you have questions or need help. Visit the Dream Center webpage for hours and additional info.

Start by completing all general New Student Steps.

Note: When completing your application, you will be asked to provide your social security number and your citizenship status information. Don’t worry, follow the information below to assist you with this process.

  • When asked for your SSN or ITIN: If you do not have an ITIN or SSN, check the box at the bottom of the page labeled “Check this box if you do not have a Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number, or decline to provide one at this time.”
    • If you have a Social Security Number (SSN) OR Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) given to you by Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) OR any other work permit (TPS or WAVA), use it for this section.
  • When asked for your citizenships status information: If you do not have a current and valid immigration status, in the Citizenship/Military section of the application, choose “Other” from the drop-down menu and click the box labeled “No documents.”

LAVC will not release any student information, including immigration status or related information in confidential student records, to any member of the public, federal agencies or other parties without prior written consent from the student, a court order or a lawfully issued subpoena, or as otherwise required by law. Privacy Protocol,

Once admitted to the college, determine whether you have been classified as a non-resident or an International student. If you have, you may receive an email or notice that your fees are much higher than expected. If this is the case, you may be eligible to either (1) be reclassified as a CA resident or (2) have your non-resident tuition waived.

  1. To be reclassified as a CA resident, submit the Supplemental Residency Form to the Office of Admissions and Records. This petition will require supporting documentation and should only be submitted if you have been present in California for more that 366 days and have had continuous residency in this state since AND have NO current and valid immigration status.
  2. Non-Resident Waiver through (A) AB540 or (B) Nonresident waiver.
    • AB540- If you have attended school in California for three years or the equivalent and have completed your high school diploma or equivalent.

Submit the form along with your school transcript to the Office of Admissions and Records, if you meet the full AB-540 criteria*.

  1. Nonresident Waiver- If you have been physically present in California for at least 366 days prior to the start of the term, are a Foreign Citizen (not a US Citizen) who is legally prohibited from establishing residency in CA you can be eligible to pay in-state tuition. You must also:
    1. Meet the financial assistance requirement
    2. Are enrolled in at least one (1) unit

Be sure to complete and submit a Nonresident Tuition Waiver from Dream Resource Center

If you meet the criteria for AB-540, apply for financial aid by submitting the CA Dream Act Application.

March 2nd priority deadline. Note: You can still apply aid for aid after the deadline you may just lose the ability to receive other forms of aid available.
For assistance with applying to the CA Dream Act, you can visit the LAVC Financial Aid or the LAVC Dream Center.

Check out the resources for undocumented, AB 540, and DACA students at the LAVC Dream Resource Center, including free legal aid, help with financial aid, and counseling services.

Office Hours and Location

Campus Center 127 - Mosaic Village: Unity Center

Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: 9AM - 4:30PM
Tuesday: 9AM - 6:30PM
Fridays: 9AM - 1PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed


Appointments: To schedule a Counseling appointment please use the online scheduling tool

Javier Carbajal-Ramos, M.A.
Dream Resource Center Counselor and Coordinator
Phone: (818) 778-5925