SO...WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
WATCH OUR "WELCOME" VIDEO!
Starting school and taking the first steps in your educational journey is exciting. And maybe a bit scary. That's what this class is for - to help you settle in and feel confident as you navigate your first semester, and beyond.
LAVC has so many resources, organizations, offices, and people on campus who are here to help you. But one of the biggest predictors of college success has more to do with you and how you feel.
- Students who feel like they belong in college and at their campuses are more likely to succeed.
- Students who feel confident about their ability and skills to successfully learn new things are more likely to succeed.
- Students who view the classes they take and the work they do as contributing to personally meaningful goals are more likely to succeed.
- This class will help you grow in all three of these areas. You get to be the hero of your own story and choose your own adventure. Let the journey begin!
Each module of the class represents another step in your journey. You will do a bit of reading, discussing, and reflecting on the guiding questions and ideas for the module, and then apply what you have learned. Some of the guiding questions include:
- What brings you to LAVC? Who are you now and what do you want to become?
- What does LAVC have to offer you? What do you have to offer the community at LAVC and beyond?
- What are the rules of this game we call college?
- What is your superpower?
- How can you build a SmartMoney toolkit?
- How can you decode your professors (and other people)?
- What problems (in the world, my career field) do I want to solve?
At the end of this class, you will have quite a story to tell! As a "captone" project for the class, each student will create a short video project telling their unique educational journey. Here's a sample created by Stefanie Ann Pacheco, a College 101 student in Fall, 2020.