Two Students in Campus Talking




Returning students are students who have not attended LAVC for 2 or more semesters (fall and spring)

Apply to become a student at LA Valley College using this link - LAVC Application

After you apply, you will receive a LACCD student ID number.

Make an appointment with the Veterans Counselor to develop a student educational plan (SEP). To schedule a counseling appointment, click here- Veterans Counseling Appointments*

*You will need to create a Cranium Cafe account


If you attended a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S., send a copy of your official transcripts* to the LAVC Admissions Office. 

*Official transcripts are sealed transcripts sent to LAVC Admissions directly from the college/university.

NOTE: if you attended a community college within LACCD, you will NOT need to send transcripts


Register for classes online through your Student Portal

  • If you plan on using your VA educational benefits, enrolled classes must be listed on your SEP to receive VA certification
  • Use your student educational plan (SEP) to help you choose your classes. To access your SEP, go to > Manage Classes > Student Educational Plan > Current Counselor SEP on File

If you plan on using VA educational benefits, fill out the Certification Request form online through Canvas. 

To access the form, go to your student portal online - > Canvas > LAVC Veterans > Certification Request

IMPORTANT: If this is your first semester using VA educational benefits at LAVC, please read below-

  • when submitting your form, please have the following documents ready to upload in a PDF format:
    • Certificate of Eligibility Letter (COE) provided by the VA
    • Copy of DD-214 (Member 4) - Eligible to receive two units of Health credit, one unit of Kinesiology credit and three units of elective credit for the AA/AS degree, an exemption and partial certification for the CSU General Education Plan Area E (Lifelong Learning and Self Development)
    • Copy of an ID (i.e. CA driver's license, passport, VA card, LAVC student id card)
  • other requirements include:
    • updated student educational plan (SEP) provided by the counselor. NOTE: Classes not on your SEP will not be certified unless approved by the veterans counselor
    • Veteran's file number or copy of veteran's DD-214 (for Chapter 35 Dependents)
    • Tungsten Authorization (for Chapter 31 VR&E formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation) provided by the VR&E Rehabilitation Counselor


Schedule a follow-up appointment with the LAVC Veterans Counselor to review and update your student educational plan (SEP)

  • schedule an appointment using this link - Veterans Counseling Appointment
  • appointments can be made up to 3 weeks in advance
  • if you are using VA educational benefits, it is required that you meet with the LAVC Veterans Counselor at least once a semester (fall and spring semesters only)


Send an email to or call (818)778-5627