Yellow Building in Student Plaza Tree view

Chemical or Radiation Spill

  • Any spillage of a hazardous chemical or radioactive material should be reported immediately to the College Sheriff at extension 2911 form a campus phone or (818) 947-2911 from other phones.
  • When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and exact location. College Sheriff will contact the necessary specialized authorities and medical personnel.
  • The key person on site should evacuate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination of other areas until the arrival of College Sheriff.
  • If possible have someone remain in the vicinity, away from danger, to assist emergency responders in locating the spill and identifying the chemical.
  • Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity and give their names to College Sheriff. Required first aid and cleanup by specialized authorities should be started at once.
  • If the presence of toxic fumes is suspected, the area or areas affected should be evacuated. Use a telephone away from this area and always call the College Sheriff's Office at extension 2911 (818) 947-2911 if it is an emergency, or extension 2301 (818) 947-2301 (Plant Facilities) if is not an emergency. If it is during non-business hours call extension 2911 (818) 947-2911.
  • It may be possible to clear an affected area by opening windows and/or activating exhaust fans, provided such action is undertaken by trained personnel.