Ask the Help Desk
Canvas Support & Live Chat
- Go to Canvas and click the Help icon (the question mark icon toward the bottom in the left hand blue global navigation.)
- Select Student Support – Search for Answers and Live Chat
- This will take you to LACCD Student Distance Learning Resources Canvas Shell.
- The Student Distance Learning Resources page includes links for each college.
- Next to LAVC – Los Angeles Valley College, you will find:
- A link to Canvas Support (and Live Chat)
- A link to IT Help & Support (page with links)
- A link to Registration & Enrollment Support (LAVC Admissions)
- The Canvas Support link will take you to a page where you can:
- Search in the Canvas area for questions related to using Canvas (i.e., How do I submit an assignment?)
- Search in your College area for other questions (i.e., How do I add myself to waitlist for a class?
- If you still can’t find the answer you need, there is also a Contact Support link (right top corner) to start a Live Chat with Canvas Support.
The dedicated Canvas Live Chat is open 24/7 to faculty and students and should be used as a first resort. These are well-trained professionals who can answer your questions right away via the Canvas Help - Live Chat. Please use them as much as possible.
Valley College Online Help Desk Hours
We are located in the Library building, 2nd floor, room #232.
- Office drop-in hours: Monday - Friday, 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM.
- Morning Phone: (818) 538-9050, M-F, 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM.
- Primary Phone: (818) 778-5834, M-F, 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM.
- Primary Email: LAVC-VVHD@laccd.edu
How to Log In to Canvas and View Your Classes:
- Know your User ID and Password. (Show me ID/Password PDF)
- Visit the Student Portal login page.
- Click on the button labeled “Log Into the Student Portal”.
- Enter your User ID and Password.
- Click on the tile labeled "Canvas".
Canvas Will Not Let Me Log In
There are three common reasons for not being able to login to Canvas. If, after you try these solutions, you are still unable to login, please contact the Help Desk or the Canvas Hotline above.
- Incorrect User ID and password.
We suggest that you verify that your User ID and Password are correct and try again. Take a look at the “How to Login to Canvas and View Your Classes” section above.
- It may be too soon for your account to be ready.
You will not have access to Canvas on the same day you register for a course. It can take 1-2 business days after registration before your log-in will work, if the semester has started. Otherwise, your Canvas access should work on the first day of class.
- A hold could be placed on your record for either financial or academic reasons.
If you have not paid your tuition, health fee, or other fees, the college will place a hold on your record and you will not be able to login until this issue is cleared by the LAVC Business Office.
Canvas Live Chat Assistance 24/7
Canvas Login Instructions
- In a web browser, go to https://mycollege.laccd.edu
- LoginID/UserID: Your 9-digit student ID number (example: 881234567 or 900123456)
- Password: Same as your SIS password (where you registered for the class). Show me.