Skip to main content

Transfer Alliance/Honors Program (TAP)


Student Services Center (SSA)
(818) 947-2330

The Los Angeles Valley College Transfer Alliance/Honors Program (TAP) is designed to help first time college students* who plan on transferring to a four-year college or university. It consists of academically enriched transfer general education courses in which both written expression and the critical analysis of ideas are stressed.

The TAP/Honors sections will provide academically motivated students the opportunity to learn in a challenging and stimulating learning environment. More than 85% of our TAP applicants have been accepted by UCLA over the last five years. Typically less than 30% of non-TAP applicants to UCLA have been admitted to UCLA over this same period. Our TAP transfers at UCLA have a better academic performance than non-TAP transfers and native UCLA students.

Contact the TAP/Honors Director Laura Scott (818 947-2330, Sociology Dept BSC 111B), Dr. Michael Gold, TAP/Honors Counselor (818-947-2630, Counseling Department) or TAP Counselor Ann Gee (818 947-2631). Both counselors are located in the Counseling Department in the Student Services Annex.

TAP benefits include:

  • Priority registration for TAP/Honors sections
  • Special Scholarships for TAP students at UCLA, Woodbury University, and at Los Angeles Valley College.
  • Eligibility for priority consideration for admission to UCLA, UC Irvine, Chapman College, La Sierra University, Loyola Marymount University, Mills College, Occidental College, Pomona College, Pitzer College, and Woodbury University.
  • Assistance with application for transfer to a four-year college or university.
  • Increased student-professor contact.
  • Association with other academically motivated students.
  • A TAP designated counseling team for specialized advisement
  • An official TAP designation on the LAVC transcript.
  • Access to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) College Library. Click here to apply for a UCLA Library card.

* First time college students that do not have a college degree. Students who have a Bachelor’s degree or higher from any institution (domestic or international) are able to take TAP/Honors classes, but will not earn TAP certification or TAP completion on their transcripts or priority consideration in the transfer application process.


May 2018 Newsletter for Students (DOCX)

Transfer Alliance/Honors Program (TAP) Application