Student Request for Prerequisite Clearance and Excess Units
Students are responsible for meeting all course prerequisites. Course prerequisites are listed in the Schedule of Classes and College Catalog and must be cleared before a student can enroll in a course that requires such prerequisite. Students may use copies of unofficial transcripts to clear prerequisites based on satisfactorily completed courses taken at accredited colleges and universities.
Students in Special Programs (i.e., EOPS, SSD, Veterans, TriO, Black Scholars, DRC, etc.) should contact their program for assistance with prerequisite clearance and/or enrolling in excess units.
To request a prerequisite clearance:
- Download and complete the LAVC Prerequisite Clearance Form and save it as (Last Name, First Name_Student ID #).
- From your LACCD student email account, send copies of your unofficial transcripts with the Prerequisite Clearance Form to email@example.com.
Allow 3-5 business days for a counselor to review your prerequisite clearance request. You will be notified via your student email if your prerequisite clearance request was approved or denied.
If your request is approved, you can proceed with your enrollment process. If your request is denied, a counselor may assist you with filing a Prerequisite Challenge with the discipline Department Chairperson.
To request permission for excess units:
You may enroll in up to 19 units for Fall/Spring semester and up to 9 units for Winter/Summer intersession. In order to enroll in additional units:
- Wait until the first day of instruction
- Obtain a permission number from the instructor
- From your LACCD student email account, send the request for permission to enroll in excess units to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include:
- Your Name
- Student ID number
- Course name and course number
- Permission number
Allow 3-5 business days for a counselor to review your excess units request. You will be notified via your student email if your request was approved or denied.
If approved, a counselor will email you the excessive unit form. Make sure to sign and submit it to the Admissions and Records Office for processing.
Office Hours and Location
Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 7:00PM
Fridays: 8:00AM - 1:00PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed
Student Services Annex (SSA)
Phone: (818) 938-8418