Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Counseling FAQs

Starting February 20, 2019, as part of the mandates of Assembly Bill (AB 705), LAVC updated the method for placing students in their first English and math courses. Placement of students into English and math courses are determined during the application process which uses the following multiple measures: high school coursework, high school grades, and high school grade point average (GPA).

Multiple measures questions are available for students in the Student Portal for updated English and math placement.

ESL placement will continue to be available through the Assessment Center.

Students may see a Welcome Center counselor for guidance regarding placement or see Math/Englsh/ESL Department Chairs for Prerequisite Challenge or proper placement.

You can print out an unofficial copy of your records from your Student Portal. Official transcripts are requested through the Office of Admissions and Records.

The counseling department is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. M-Th, and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Fridays.

Students who are enrolled in 12 or more units are considered full-time students. Students taking less than 12 units are part-time.

Generally, students are able to enroll for up to 19 units during online registration. Once classes begin a student may request permission for “excess units” beyond 19 units from a counselor after obtaining a permission code to add from the professor. The counselor reviewes the student's past record to determine if the stuent is eligible for excess units, if approved, signs the student’s permission to add, before it can be processed through the Office of Admissions and Records.

Schedule an appointment with a counselor or complete the SEP Request online to obtain a Student Educational Plan (SEP). You may also enroll in Counseling 1, or 20 course.

If you have attended college(s) outside the LA Community College District or have AP/CLEP credits, request your official transcripts sent to Los Angeles Valley College. Please allow 10 business days for processing. Confirm that transcripts have been received and processed by contacting the Admissions & Records Office. Schedule a counseling appointment for an Transcript Evaluation and Student Educational Plan.

Meet with a counselor to evaluate and verify that all the CSU GE and/or IGETC requirements have been completed. The counselor will complete and subbmit a Graduation Petition to request CSU GE and/or IGETC certification.

There are two policies which can help students with substandard grades of “D” or “F” on their records. 1) After repeating the same course, the previous substandard grade will automatically be excluded from GPA calculation. 2) Students with substandard grades who are not repeating the same course(s) may petition for Academic Renewal in order to alleviate substandard academic performance under the following conditions:

  • Coursework to be disregarded is limited to "D" and "F" grades in courses not subsequently completed with a "C" or btter at the LACCD colleges.
  • Student completed a minimum of the equivalent of 12 semeser units with a 2.0 GPA at any US regionally accredited institution(s) at any time afte the semeser or session of the coursework to be disregarded.
  • At least one (1) semester must have passed since the semester or intersession term when the coursework to be disregarded was completed.

If granted, academic renewal shall result in:

  • Eliminating up to 30 semester units of coursework taken within the Los Angeles Community College District from consideration in the student's cumulative grade point average, and
  • Annotating the student academic record to note which grades have been removed through academic renewal. Academic renewal actions are irreversible.

Note: Withdrawals or “W”s remain permanently on a student's records, and cannot be removed by either policy.

LAVC Registered Nursing (R.N.) Program accepts applications twice a year (Sept. for Spring, April for Fall). Prior to applying for the R.N. program, students must have the program prerequisites completed and evaluated by a counselor. Official transcripts from college(s) outside the LACCD must be requested to be send (by mail or electronicaly) and processed by Admissions & Records before requesting evaluation of program prerequisites. All courses must be completed with grade C or higher.

R.N. Program Prerequisites

  • Anatomy 1 (min 4sem/6qtr units)
  • Chemistry 51 or one year of high school Chemistry w/ lab
  • Physiology 1 (min 4sem/6qtr units)
  • Microbiology 20 (min 4sem/6qtr units)
  • English 101 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Psychology 1 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Psychology 41 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Math 125 or placement into transfer-level math

R.N. Program General Education Reqs

Students are encouraged to complete the following LACCD General Education requirements prior to entering the R.N. program.

  • Comm 101 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Humanities (3sem units from LACCD Gen Ed Plan Area C)
  • American Institutions Requirement(3 semester units from LACCD Gen Ed Plan Area B1)
  • Kinesiology(1 sem unit from LACCD Gen Ed Plan Area E2)


Office Hours and Location

Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 7:00PM
Fridays: 8:00 AM - 1:00PM
Saturdays and Sundays: Closed

Student Services Annex (SSA)


Phone: (818) 938-8418