Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Counseling Department
Contact & Hours

Student Services Annex (SSA)
(818) 947-2474


What is AB-705, and how does it affect English and math asessment?

Starting February 20, 2019, as part of the mandates of Assembly Bill (AB 705), LAVC will be updating the method for placing students in their first English and math courses.  Placement of students into English and math courses will be determined during the application process which uses the following multiple measures: high school coursework, high school grades, and high school grade point average (GPA).

Multiple measures questions will be available for students in the Student Portal for updated English and math placement.

ESL placement will continue to be available through the Assessment Center starting February 20, 2019.

Students may see a counselor for guidance regarding placement or  see Math/Englsh/ESL Department Chairs for prerequisite challenge or proper placement.

Where can I get a copy of my transcripts?

You can print out an unofficial copy of your records through the Student Information System. Copies of official transcripts are requested through the Office of Admissions and Records.

What are the counseling department office hours?

The counseling department is open from 8a.m. to 7p.m. M-Th, and 8a.m. to 2p.m. on Fridays.

What makes a student full-time?

Students who are enrolled in 12 or more units are considered full-time students. Students taking less than 12 units are part-time.

What is the maximum number of units I can take? How can I take more?

Generally, students are able to enroll for up to 19 units during online registration. Once classes begin a student may request permission for “excess units” beyond 19 units from a counselor after obtaining a permission code to add from the professor. The counselor signs the student’s permission to add card before it can be processed through the Office of Admissions and Records.

How do I know what courses to take to complete my educational goal?

Meet with a counselor in an appointment to develop a Comprehensive Student Educational Plan (SEP) or take a Counseling 1, 4, or 20 course

What if I have completed coursework from another college/university?

If you have attended college(s) outside the LA Community College District, have your official transcripts sent to:

Los Angeles Valley College
5800 Fulton Avenue
Valley Glen, CA 91401
Attn: Admissions & Records. 

Please allow 10 business days for mail and processing (even if you request rush delivery). Students may confirm that transcripts have been processed by contacting the Admissions & Records Office.  Once transcripts have been scanned by Admissions & Records Office, students may schedule a 60-minute counseling appointment for an Official Transcript Evaluation and Comprehensive SEP.

How do I get CSU or IGETC Certified?

CSU and/or IGETC certifications are done through the Office of Admissions and Records. Students should meet with a counselor to have their transcripts evaluated and to complete a Pre-Graduation Evaluation Form.  

How can I replace or remove a bad grade(s)?

There are two policies which can help students with substandard grades of “D” or “F” on their records. 1) After repeating the same course, the previous substandard grade will be automatically excluded from GPA calculation through the Grade Forgiveness policy.  2) Students with substandard grades who are not repeating the same course(s) may petition for Academic Renewal in order to alleviate substandard academic performance under the following conditions:

  • Students must have achieved a grade point average of 2.5 in their last 15 semester units, or 2.0 in their last 30 semester units, completed at any accredited college or university, subsequent to the coursework to be alleviated and
  • At least one calendar year must have passed since the coursework to be removed was completed.

Granted, academic renewal shall result in:

  • Eliminating up to 30 semester units of coursework taken within the Los Angeles Community College District from consideration in the student's cumulative grade point average, and
  • Annotating the student academic record to note which grades have been removed through academic renewal.  Academic renewal actions are irreversible.

Note: Withdrawals or “W”s remain permanently on a student's records, and cannot be removed by either policy.

What are the R.N. Program requirements?

LAVC Registered Nursing (R.N.) Program accepts applications twice a year (Sept. for Spring, April for Fall). Prior to applying for the R.N. program, students must have the program prerequisites completed and evaluated by a counselor in an appointment. Official transcripts from college(s) outside the LACCD must be sent in by mail (not hand delivered) and processed by Admissions & Records before an evaluation appointment can be made. All courses must be completed with grade C or higher.

R.N. Program Prerequisites

  • Biology 3 or college Biology w/ lab
  • Anatomy 1 (min 4sem/6qtr units)
  • Chemistry 51 or college Chemistry w/ lab
  • Physiology 1 (min 4sem/6qtr units)
  • Microbiology 20 (min 4sem/6qtr units)
  • English 101 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Psychology 1 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Psychology 41 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Students who have placed into transfer-level math will meet the math requirement

R.N. Program General Education Reqs

Students are encouraged to complete the following LACCD General Education requirements prior to entering the R.N. program.

  • Comm 101 (min 3sem/4.5qtr units)
  • Humanities (3sem units from LACCD Gen Ed Plan Area C)
  • American Institutions Requirement (3 semester units from LACCD Gen Ed Plan Area B1)
  • Kinesiology  (1 sem unit from LACCD Gen Ed Plan Area E2)