Skip to main content

Student Educational Planning (SEP)

Counseling Department
Contact & Hours

Student Services Annex (SSA)
(818) 947-2600 ext. 4200


Once you have decided on your educational goal, it is important to know your course requirements and plan for future semesters. Your Student Educational Plan (SEP) will be used to reach your educational goal(s). Your SEP is an individualized list of required prerequisite, major, general education, and elective courses for your specific educational goal(s). Your SEP will list the courses you will need to obtain a Certificate, Associates Degree, and/or may include a plan for transferring to a 4-year college or university to earn a Bachelors Degree. The purpose of an educational plan is to provide a "master list" of the courses and prerequisites that you will need to complete in order to achieve your educational goal.

Prerequisites are courses or skills you need to satisfy before enrolling in a particular course. For example, completion of English 28 with a C or higher is a prerequisite for English 101.

Major requirements are a series of courses in a specific field of study or subject area. Major course requirements for Associates Degrees can be found in the LAVC College Catalog or major preparation for students planning to transfer to CSUs or UCs can be found on

General education is a list of courses from various disciplines which are required for graduation. The following general education plans listed below would apply for students pursuing an Associates Degree (Plan A [PDF: 99KB] and Plan B [PDF: 91KB] based on your major), or transferring to a California State University (CSU Certification Plan [PDF: 34KB]) and/or University of California (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum – IGETC [PDF: 39KB]) as part of a full Student Education Plan (SEP) [XLS: 80B].

Elective courses are used to meet unit requirements for a degree or transfer and can be selected from any subject area based on the student's interest. Elective courses used for transferrable unit requirements must be designated as (CSU) or (UC:CSU) transferrable.

You may use the Student Educational Plan (SEP) [XLS: 80KB] to list all your course requirements and use the Six Semester Plan [XLS: 36KB] to plan your future semesters or consult a counselor for advisement.