Distance Education Certification
The following policy was passed by the College Distance Education Committee and Academic Senate in Spring 2016
In accordance with Article 40b of Local AFT 1521, an instructor must demonstrate LMS proficiency by receiving certification in the Learning Management System. If you are using Canvas for an online, hybrid, or web-enhanced class, you must be certified at least seven days before the start of the semester.
Certification can be achieved in any one of the following ways:
- Completing an LAVC facilitated online course, “Introduction to Teaching with Canvas” with a minimum score of 80%.
- Completing an LAVC self-paced course “Introduction to Teaching with Canvas” with a minimum score of 80%.
- Completing an LAVC face to face course “Introduction to Teaching with Canvas” with a minimum score of 80%.
- Evidence of prior online teaching experience using the Canvas LMS system.
- Completing OEI approved Canvas training with a certificate
If you have used Canvas at another school, you do not need to take the LAVC training. However, you need to provide Jacquelyn Hams, the DE Coordinator access to your website from the other school so she can confirm that you have taught using Canvas. She can be contacted at email@example.com.