Contact & Hours
Student Services Annex (SSA)
(818) 947-2600 ext. 4200
Student Services Division Homepage
The Los Angeles Valley College Counseling Department is committed to assisting our diverse student population with achieving their educational and career goals. Whether the educational goal is to take one course, job training, earn a certificate, an associate degree or transfer to a four-year institution, LAVC counselors are available to assist.
The Counseling Department at Los Angeles Valley College, located in the Student Services Annex, provides students with assistance in creating Student Educational Plans (SEP), selecting appropriate classes, exploring educational and career options, and identifying the skills and resources critical to student success. A professional staff of counselors are available to assist students in the following areas:
APPOINTMENTS ARE SCHEDULED ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE, AND FOR ONLY ONE WEEK AT A TIME. EVERY TUESDAY AT 8:00 AM NEW AVAILABILITIES ARE CREATED FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK. APPOINTMENTS MAY BE SCHEDULED ONLINE , IN-PERSON or by phone.
ONCE APPOINTMENTS ARE FILLED FOR THE WEEK, OUR SCHEDULING SYSTEM IS DISABLED UNTIL THE FOLLOWING TUESDAY AT 8:00 AM.
SAME-DAY DROP-IN COUNSELING
Please Note: Same-day Drop-in appointments are scheduled starting at 8:00 AM for later the same day. The drop-in schedule for each day is filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Services Available during Drop-in
- Course Placement (Prerequisite Clearance)
- Educational Goal/Major Update
- General Course Advising
- Petition for Repeated Coursework
- Prerequisite/Co-requisite Challenge
- Request to Exceed Unit Limits
Please note: Comprehensive Student Educational Planing, Financial Aid Extension, Transcript Evaluation, Graduation Petition and/or general education certification require a 30 or 60 minute appointment and cannot be done during a 10-minute same-day drop-in session. Please visit the "Make a Counseling Appointment" page to schedule an appointment.
TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION APPOINTMENTS
If you have completed courses at another college or university, you must first contact that institution and have them send your official transcripts directly from that institution to LAVC. Note: hand delivered transcripts are not considered official. Shipping and processing of official transcripts usually takes 7-10 business days. Once the transcripts are recieved and processed by Admissions and Records, you may schedule a counseling appointment for transcript evanuation to determine appropriate course equivalences at LA Valley College. Make sure you have already applied to LAVC (or any other colleges within the LACCD) and have been assinged a student ID number before requesting requesting your transcripts be sent to LAVC. Please follow the steps below.
Step 1: BEFORE MEETING WITH A COUNSELOR:
- Apply online to LAVC, and allow the district 3-5 business days to process your appication and be assigned a student ID number.
- Contact all colleges/universities you have previously attended and request that the official transcripts be sent to:
- If your name has changed, and the name on your LAVC application is different from the name on the transcripts being sent, please notify your previous college/university and have them indicate this name change before sending the official transcripts. This will help you avoid any delays in processing.
Note: Official transcripts and AP exam scores must be seng directly to Admissions and Records Office. Hand-carried transcripts/scores are not considered official and will not be accepted.
Step 2: VERIFY THAT TRANSCRIPTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED AND PROCESSED:
- Contact the Admissions and Records Office at (818) 947-2553 (allowing at least 7-10 days from the date you requested transcripts to be sent) to verify that they have been received and processed. Once receipt has been confirmed, call the Counseling department on Tuesday mornings after 8:00am to schedule a transcript evaluation appointment for the following week.
Step 3: SCHEDULE YOUR TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION APPOINTMENT:
- Make a counseling appointment in person or by calling (818) 947-2600 ext 4200 on Tuesdays after 8:00am. Appointments fill fast and are first-come-first-served.
- To assit a counselor in evaluating your transcripts, bring course descriptions, syllibi, assessment results or other documentation you feel will be helpful in the evaluation process. It may take more than one session to complete a transcript evaluation process.
FOREIGN TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION
Students who have completed courses from an accredited college or university in a foreign country may be able to apply the course credits toward an Associate Degree in LA Valley College. Courses must first be evaluated by LACCD approved foreign credential evaluation agency. See the Counseling Department or Admissions and Records Office for approved foreign credential evaluation agencies.
To have foreign transcript evaluated, students should contact one of the approved foreign credential evaluation agencies and request a detailed equivalency report that includes course title, semester units equivalency, and letter grade student earned. Foreign credits can be accepted by LAVC only after the student has completed 12 units within the LACCD.
Please note that foreign coursework will NOT satisfy general education requirements for English Composition, Oral Communication, U.S. history/Government as well as transfer GE requirements. The transferability of foreign courses can only be determined by the transfer institution.
In addition to the general Counseling Department, counselors are also available in special programs across the campus such as: Black Scholars, CalWORKs, Extended Opportunity Programs and Services, Foster Youth, International Students, Services for Students with Disabilities, TAP/Honors, TRiO and Veterans.